Thursday, August 26, 2004

Sneakers on the Wire

I thought I was having an original thought today, but alas. I noticed yet again some sneakers tied together by their laces and dangling from a power line. And I wondered if this happens all over (and realized it does) - and what is the social significance of this? I googled "Sneakers on Wire" and came up with this piece, which ends up saying "I don't know".

Here's another possibility.

And last, but not least, this.

Bottom line - who knows? If we ever STOP seeing them simultaneously EVERYWHERE, then it's time to start worrying....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured that was just a Philly thing...
I always thought it was bullies taking some poor kid's sneakers and throwing them where he has no possibility of getting them --he then has the further humiliation of walking home in his socks and explaining to his father why he has no shoes. (I say this because often I see very new expensive sneakers hanging there, not just the overworn ones that I saw when I was young)--Then again, maybe that's just the writer in me --always attaching a drama to everything.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Susan Humeston said...

I wouldn't mind if my old beat-up sneakers made it up there....but brand new ones? Maybe you're right - and it's someone picking on someone else. I sure hope not - I see things to be sad about all too often - that would be just one more.....

10:38 PM  
Blogger The Oracle said...

I've noticed it all over the country going back 20 years or more.
I think people just do it because they can.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home